DO YOU HAVE INFORMATION
ABOUT MY ANCESTORS?
GENEALOGY, RECORDS AND SUCH
Looking for information on when your ancestors lived in Manistee County? Well…look no further. Here are some of our collections that will help you out in your search, we only ask that if you are looking to do some digging around in your family tree that you contact us ONE WEEK in advance. There is a $10 upfront fee for access to our archives. Additional fees will be charged in accordance with the amount of research requested. You can contact the museum at 231.723.5531 or check out our contact page for more information.
* Original copies of almost all known surviving Manistee County newspapers.
* A library of several thousand reference books more than 50 years old.
* A collection of atlases dating from 1857 covering the world, the nation, the state, and local counties.
* A collection of Michigan legal books from the Nineteenth Century.
* A large number of periodicals.
LOCAL HISTORY COLLECTION
* All known county and local history articles.
* Twelve drawers of vertical files.
* 3,500 articles on local history.
* Business records for the Sands Salt Lumber Company and Manistee Northeastern Railroad.
* 20,000 local photographs.
* City directories dating from 1883 to present.
* Manistee street indexes for 1888, 1900, 1915, 1927, and after.
* Sanborn maps of Manistee, Eastlake, Filer City, Onekama, and Pierport.
* Air photos of Manistee County for 1958, 1965, 1970, 1977, 1985, 1995.
* Manistee County real estate tax records from 1949 to 1989.
* Over 100,000 file cards of Manistee ancestors.
* Heads of households in the 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, and 1900 and Federal Census of the county.
* Genealogical information found in Manistee newspapers from 1864 to 1955.
* All readable gravestones found in Manistee County through 1984.
* Abstracts of deaths and marriages reported in the Manistee County Pioneer Press from September 1, 1919 to February 1959.
* Approximately 100 family histories written about local residents.
* Sesquicentennial Certificate applications about residents arriving from 1841 to 1891.
MIDDLETON MARINE COLLECTION
* A library of 300 books detailing Great Lakes Marine History.
* About 500 photos of Great Lakes boats.
* Several marine directories describing Great Lakes vessels.
* Data on commercial vessels visiting the port of Manistee.
* Port of records of commercial vessels arriving and clearing Manistee from 1879 to 1926.